Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thing 7 Reflection

I thought using Google Doc was pretty easy and I can see how it would be very useful when working with a large group. I looked at some of the templates and though I didn't see any I would use with the kids, I saw some I could personally.

I can see using this in my team when one of us is writing a letter to go out to parents. Everyone could add information they wanted or we could share team information about other things. For example, if we did a book study we could share our notes all in one document. I think that would be great. Or if 2 of us went to a workshop and wanted to report we could talk about different topics and have it in one document. In my personal life it could be helpful when planning family events with my 11 brothers and sisters but I'm not sure how much input I would get from of them. Maybe I could start a new trend.

Students could certainly use with when learning to edit. However, at the 3rd grade level I would probably write what needed to be edited to begin with because it's been my experience that most 3rd graders find it difficult to find errors when peer tutoring.

Because changing someone's writing can sometimes be rather personal I could see where students might get their feeling hurt. For that matter, some adults might feel that way. People would have to understand that changes made their documents don't necessarily have to be something they agree with in some cases.

All in all, I like this THING and see how I could use it. Even people who haven't done the 8THINGS could quickly see how to use it. I believe most people would be willing to do this.
Gina

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Google Docs is very user-friendly, especially for those who have experience with Microsoft Office tools, and I love your ideas for using it professionally and personally.

    Using docs like this is certainly more complicated when it comes to students. In my experience, teaching them to use the tool is just as important as teaching, for example, in the case of peer editing, how to give (and receive) constructive criticism. Like any of the tools we've explored, it's important to view the technology as an instructional tool, which means making sure our instruction supports the tool we're using.

    Great response! Good luck collaborating with 11 brothers and sisters! :)

    Thing 7 complete!

    ReplyDelete