Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thing 5 Reflections

Wikis are pretty cool and look like a great way to keep kids engaged but I'm not sure how it works in a classroom with 2 computers. I guess that's where computer labs come in handy or some collaboration with our technology teacher. Here are the observations I made while checking out Wikis.
I'm not sure that enjoy is the word I would use to describe wikis. They were quite impressive. Wikis in Plain English made them look so much simpler. The ones I looked out appeared to be pretty complicated.

Blogs vs. Wikis
It seems to me that blogs are more about people giving opinions and others adding their opinions. No one's words are changed or edited in a comment. They are more personal. A wiki, on the other hand, seems to be more about knowledge and people sharing what they know or think they know.

Wikis could be a beneficial tool. I am always looking for ways to engage my students and this certainly falls in that category. It gives everyone involved a way to share and gain information. Using established wikis gives students another place to find information.

I liked Mrs. Ibrahim's 2nd Grade wiki. It was closer to something a third grade class may do and therefore, I could relate to it more. I liked the Global Climate Change wiki. It was well done. I don't know if I would say I disliked any of them.

I have used Wikipedia a few times with my class to find information or see a picture of something. It often has excellent links to the topic we are discussing. I do have concerns about the fact that people can add things that might be more personal opinion than fact. My class has not used Wikipedia as a tool without me guiding them through it. We usually use library books or encyclopedias so I guess I would say that I'm cautious about using Wikipedia without other sources.

That's my word on wikis. I like the idea of them for vocabulary "word walls" and decomposing numbers. I think the kids would have fun with that.

Gina

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you were able to find a few useful purposes for wikis! My favorite way to use wikis is as a sort of repository for documents, media, and online content.

    For example, if you're working on a photosynthesis unit, you could create a wiki with a list of websites, a page of videos, and a page of images all related to that topic. Then, as students begin to explore photosynthesis online, they can add resources to your list. The same concept works well for a group of teachers who are working in a collaborative manner. For example, I can post my lesson plans for an upcoming unit, complete with links to the resources I'll be using, and you can view my plans and materials, making changes or suggestions as you go.

    Another of my favorite classroom uses for wikis is allowing students to create their own "mini" Wikipedia on a certain topic. For example, the class could create a wiki on the seven continents, and different groups could be responsible for creating pages on each geographical area. At the end of the unit, you'll have a complete online encyclopedia.

    Using a tool like wikis is difficult in a classroom that's equipped with only a few computers, but, as is the case with blogs, there are ways around that hurdle. You can assign students to work on a wiki on a rotating basis, or you can use your digital projector to look at and edit a wiki together as a class.

    Great response! Thing 5 complete!

    ReplyDelete